Monday, December 8, 2008

Kiawah Island Marathon

Kiawah Island
(Our view from the home we rented)

What better way for a runner to celebrate his birthday than to run a marathon! And to have half his family run with him. Well, let me clarify that. We didn't actually run WITH him. Michael ran the marathon and Christi, Tim, Mary Beth, Kevin and I ran the half marathon. Now, let me clarify that. I ran / walked, with a heavy emphasis on the walk!! Michael had several other friends there as well. Jodi, Amy and Ward all run with Michael during the week as part of the Lexington Running Club. Trina, Ward's wife, was there and graciously posed as our photographer. The race started at 8am with temperatures around 40 degrees. Isn't this what normal families do on Saturday mornings?? The scenery was absolutely beautiful and made the running more enjoyable. At least for the first 7 miles. After that I really didn't care what anything looked like! I just wanted to be able to stop!!

Before the race: Me, Michael, Christi, Tim, Mary Beth, Kevin, Ward, Jodi and Amy

My gang before the race

Michael getting ready (Actually, I'm not sure what he is doing!)

Ward and his wife, Trina

Michael and Ward

Waiting for the start

Here goes Michael

And here we go!

We survived!! We deserved those metals!! And we are still smiling!! That just shows how crazy we are!!

4 comments:

Marina said...

Crazy is right. Also, determined, zealous, and outstanding comes to mind. ;)

Anonymous said...

We did have a fabulous time - although my body is saying differently right now.
(I hate every picture of me that was taken - I wish I had my new running clothes at the race, so I didn't look like I just put on my pj's )
and to clarify to all friends - mom wasn't the only one that walked more than ran!!! We all did.

Mikelene said...

Ditto to what Marina said. :)

Libbi said...

Y'all are nuts but then I love all nuts and I surely think y'all are fantastic for running together! Keep it up...one day I will join you!