Friday, November 11, 2011

Ironman Florida 2011

IRONMAN - 2.4 mile ocean swim, 112 mile bike ride, followed by a 26.2 mile run. A whopping total of 140.6 miles in one day = CRAZINESS!!
Michael had signed up for the Ironman Florida 2010 but had a bike accident 3 weeks prior to the event. We went down to Panama City Beach Florida anyway to cheer for Mike Nininger. Michael decided to go ahead and sign up for 2011 even though he was fresh out of surgery. It has been one heck of a year! Getting Michael through surgery and recuperation was a challenge but he came through with flying colors! Wednesday November 2 we headed out to Florida. Kevin, Mary Beth and the kids were following close behind. We all stopped in Eufaula, Alabama for supper at the Waffle House. We arrived in Panama City Beach about 9:30pm. Tim, Christi and their kids got to PCB around midnight. Kenny's family had car trouble so they weren't able to leave home until Friday morning. Thursday was spent checking out the expo, checking Michael in and shopping around the Pier Park while Michael got a pre-race massage. Kenny, Jessica and their kids arrived in the afternoon. Friday was the day to get Michael's gear together. He packed his special needs bags and check them in. I didn't take alot of pictures because I knew Christi and Tim would take several hundred!
Me and my man
Owen wore this swim cap nearly the entire time
The kids had a blast making signs for Big Daddy
One window of our condo overlooked the swim start
Another window overlooked the transition area
Even Norah had a Team shirt!
Saturday we were up before 6am. The Team was literally on the road from the moment Michael exited the swim until just after his finish. We didn't get on each others nerves too badly and the kids were awesome. They really were troopers. They did whatever we asked of them without whining! I have to say it was a day of miracles. We had so many prayers answered.
We had to let the kids play a little during our grueling 14 hour long day of hunting down Big Daddy
The Team was definitely easy to see spread out along the side of the road. Not to mention we are quite loud!! I am so amazed at the love and support my children give to our family. I love that they are teaching their children the same thing. Not only by words but by their unselfish example. What a sacrifice it was to go all the way to Panama City, take vacation days from work, take children out of school, drive all the way down and back only to spend an entire day cheering for Big Daddy! Amazing!!
My Ironman! Michael set a new PR coming in at 12:58. How awesome is that?! I truly love this man more than I could ever express. He is my love, my life and my inspiration. I am so proud of his accomplishments. He will always be my ironman!

2 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Maybe I'm overly emotional right now - after reading dad's blog and now yours, I'm just a crying baby!! And that last picture of y'all is ABSOLUTELY gorgeous - you BETTER frame it

Marina said...

I love the first first pic! What wonderful emotion shining through! You've done a great job with your family. I know you're proud! :)